Celion Guild Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For Bal

5 posters

Go down

For Bal Empty For Bal

Post by Candy Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:41 pm

Speaking of eggs...

Copied from this website: http://foodtube.livejournal.com/890.html
Balut
Name - "balut"

What it really is - boiled duck foetus

Location - Samantha's house, Manila, Philippines
For Bal P1010012-1

On a trip to Manila in May this year I was invited to try something called "Balut". I'd seen it advertised on home-made signs at the side of the road and in shopping centres. Samantha, who took these pictures, told me what it was - a boiled fertilised duck egg, almost ready to hatch.

There's an explanation and better photos at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balut.

I had to try it.
A few eggs were fetched from the nearest stall along with a small bag of rock salt and instructions to "eat them while they're hot"
For Bal P1010001-1

They looked fairly innocuous on the outside, of course. The first task was to get the egg open, which was done in the usual boiled-egg-with-soldiers manner. Instead of a boiled egg there was a reservoir of dark brown liquid

For Bal P1010004-1

...which I had to suck out...

For Bal P1010005-1

It tasted fairly strange - a little like chicken stock, but not really definitively edible. I would have made more notes on this part, but I was thinking too much about what was to come.
The shell was very thick, like a shell. I cracked it open with the spoon and with moderate difficulty. After a good peeling I was left with this -

For Bal P1010006-1

It looked a bit like a brain - a yellow, eggy, duck brain, with smaller brown bits. It's a shame the picture here isn't clear enough to make out the features clearly, but it had a little head with a little yellow beak poking out.
I thought I'd start with the other, non-beaky, side.

For Bal P1010008-1

I had expected it to taste a bit like scrambled egg, but it didn't. Even with a bit of salt it was deeply strange. The development of the duck had changed the chemical composition of the yolk somehow. It was around a second after it went into my mouth that I realised that I could feel something strangely textured against my tongue. Feather. For a second I gagged, then I swallowed quickly. It wasn't that bad.

For Bal P1010012-1

Looking down I realised I'd accidentally eaten a good amount of the duck itself and not even noticed. The body had been so soft that I'd munched through a fair amount of feather and bone without realising.
I let myself get the retching out of the way, took a deep breath and went for the head.

For Bal P1010014-1

It was a bit more chewy and feathery. I was more relieved than disappointed to find that I couldn't distinguish beak from yolk in the mix.

For Bal P1010016-1

And then it was all gone, and much the same. Under the fleshy part there was a large hard, rubbery part that I was told not to bother eating, so I didn't. I passed on the second egg - sometimes you can have just too much of a good thing. All in all it wasn't nearly as revolting as I'd been warned, just a little strange-tasting and surprisingly textured - somewhere between dry and sticky. I'd been told that the smell was revolting too, but it didn't offend me.
Next time I try it I'll take off all the yolk so I can just pop the duck foetus into my mouth. Should be fun.
Candy
Candy
I post too friggin' much
I post too friggin' much

Back to top Go down

For Bal Empty Re: For Bal

Post by Zeza Reignhalt Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:08 pm

Lol.

Unborn duck in an egg.

Fun.

I have seen this eaten by Andrew Zimmern on Bizarre foods with Andrew Zimmern on travel channel.
Zeza Reignhalt
Zeza Reignhalt
I post more than Umbra.
I post more than Umbra.

Back to top Go down

Post by ftwinz Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:55 pm

lol, why is this for Gus?

Not even my mom or I would eat this... but that's just us. *shrugs*
ftwinz
ftwinz
WOTO. +2
WOTO. +2

Back to top Go down

Post by Candy Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:24 am

Cos we were talking about the meaning behind "suck an egg". LoL~
Candy
Candy
I post too friggin' much
I post too friggin' much

Back to top Go down

Post by ftwinz Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:13 pm

lol! Oh, huh, hadn't made that association before... Interesting. Always thought it was something similar to Bart Siimpson's "Eat my shorts" idiom.
ftwinz
ftwinz
WOTO. +2
WOTO. +2

Back to top Go down

Post by Crucifixion Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:24 pm

aw.....i doubet if i can put that THING into mouth Embarassed

well..the funny thing is..ppl can eat chicken...ppl can eat eggs..

that's enough >O< i dont want to eat that chickgg.....lol
Crucifixion
Crucifixion
McGriddle
McGriddle

Back to top Go down

Post by Umbrasquall Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:40 pm

They sell those at the Asian market where we go to shop. Accidentally bought a carton of these instead of regular eggs once.

They tasted good.

Well I didn't have any but my parents said they were pretty good.
Umbrasquall
Umbrasquall
I Eat Fish Cos They're So Delicious
I Eat Fish Cos They're So Delicious

http://mabiumby.wordpress.com/?ref=spelling

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum