Celion Guild Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vin's Recipe Thread~! (^o^)

+5
torhu
Heath
Umbrasquall
Majelle
Vintersorg
9 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Vin's Recipe Thread~! (^o^) - Page 2 Empty Re: Vin's Recipe Thread~! (^o^)

Post by Vintersorg Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:24 pm

COCONUT MACAROONS

Cook time: 25~30 minutes

INGREDIENTS:

• 14 ounces (1 bag) sweetened shredded coconut
  • 14 ounces (1 can) sweetened condensed milk
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 2 extra-large (or 4 large) egg whites at room temperature
  • ¼ teaspoon (I used a little less) salt
  • 1 package of paper baking cups/cupcake liners

DIRECTIONS:

1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Line a muffin tin with baking cups. Separate the egg whites from their yolks while the eggs are still cold, and let the whites come to room temperature in their bowl.
  2. Combine the coconut, condensed milk, and vanilla in a large bowl. Whip the egg whites and salt on high speed using an electric mixer with a whisk attachment (or low speed using regular beaters) until they reach the medium-firm peak stage.
  3. Carefully fold the egg white mixture into the coconut mixture.
  4. Drop the batter into baking cups using two teaspoons. A small icecream scoop can be used as well.
  5. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until golden brown. Cool and serve (or eat them warm if you can't resist!)
The original recipe can be found here, but I was having trouble with that method of baking and so devised another one spur-of-the-moment which worked for me Very Happy

Last edited by Vintersorg on Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vintersorg
Vintersorg
WOTO. +1
WOTO. +1

Back to top Go down

Post by Candy Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:53 pm

coconut.. mmmm~

Quick question, is there a difference between using eggs at room temp vs ones that are straight out of the fridge?
Candy
Candy
I post too friggin' much
I post too friggin' much

Back to top Go down

Post by Vintersorg Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:12 pm

It's because the egg whites won't form peaks as easily when they're cold, and you might run the risk of over-whipping them. XD
But go ahead and do the separating while the eggs are cold; it's easier to do that. (amends instructions)
Vintersorg
Vintersorg
WOTO. +1
WOTO. +1

Back to top Go down

Post by Candy Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:43 pm

I learn something new everyday... Surprised

Do you happen to have any good oatmeal raisin cookie recipes? I like the soft chewy cookies... -drool-
Candy
Candy
I post too friggin' much
I post too friggin' much

Back to top Go down

Post by Vintersorg Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:04 pm

Oh god, me too~
I've been trying to get this recipe off my uncle for years. He has the best cookies ever... oatmeal, raisins, and chocolate chips! I think (not sure) he adds some spice to them, cos they were vastly different from any oatmeal-raisin cookie I've ever had.
Last time I asked him about it he said it's not his recipe, and he still wouldn't give it to me. I hope I don't have to wait til he's on his deathbed for it, LOL... So I think I'll just have to experiment. XD
Vintersorg
Vintersorg
WOTO. +1
WOTO. +1

Back to top Go down

Post by Vintersorg Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:22 pm

My friend Maarten's SPAGHETTI BOLOGNAISE, for Maj XD (and anyone else who wants to try this).
For myself I'd probably use fresh tomatoes instead of tinned, but this is his recipe so everything he used is here, along with his substitutions (for ex., using water in place of the wine and bacon in place of pancetta, something I would do myself; also if I used water I would add some chicken bouillion for extra flavour).
He usually makes this one or two days ahead of time so the flavours have time to marry in the refrigerator. This doesn't make a lot, so adjust accordingly if more than two people are going to be dining.

INGREDIENTS:

• Extra Virgin Olive Oil, which shall be known as EVOO henceforth
  • 2 cloves of garlic (or more if you like)
  • 1 carrot
  • 1 celery stalk
  • ¼ cup pancetta (or diced bacon)
  • ¾ cup ground beef
  • 1 can diced stewed tomatoes
  • 2 tsp oregano
  • ½ cup red wine (or water)
  • 2 tsp tomato paste/concentrate
  • salt and pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS:

1. Chop and/or dice everything before you start. Sautee the onion and garlic in EVOO for about 3 minutes; add the carrot, celery, and bacon/pancetta pieces. Sautee them for another 3~4 minutes or until the bacon is browned.
  2. Add the ground beef; continue to cook until the meat is browned.
  3. Add the tomatoes, oregano, and wine/water. Let it come to a boil, then turn the heat down to low and let it simmer for 45 minutes.
  4. Add the tomato paste, and the salt/pepper, seasoning to taste. Serve
    over al dente (cooked 6~8mins) spaghetti or pasta of your choice.
Vintersorg
Vintersorg
WOTO. +1
WOTO. +1

Back to top Go down

Post by Candy Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:53 pm

Can't live without the EVOO... LoL~
Candy
Candy
I post too friggin' much
I post too friggin' much

Back to top Go down

Post by Vintersorg Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:35 pm

I know... XD I had a friend try and tell me it didn't matter whether one used EVOO or just plain OO.
EVOO is lighter, imo, and I like it.
Vintersorg
Vintersorg
WOTO. +1
WOTO. +1

Back to top Go down

Post by Candy Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:39 pm

EVOO!!! I even use it [along with antibacterial dishwashing soap] to clean my make up brushes!
Candy
Candy
I post too friggin' much
I post too friggin' much

Back to top Go down

Post by Livory Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:11 pm

yummy Vin's Recipe Thread~! (^o^) - Page 2 Icon_cool
Livory
Livory
I am a gerbil
I am a gerbil

Back to top Go down

Post by Vintersorg Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:13 pm

I use EVOO for everything. Add it to sugar and honey for a skin exfoliant; wash your face, then put some EVOO on your face, let it sit for a bit, then give yourself a steambath/facial/whatever they're called with a hot facecloth for a few minutes and wipe the excess off.
I could go on but this is a cooking thread XD

Hi Liv! Welcome to the forum Very Happy
Vintersorg
Vintersorg
WOTO. +1
WOTO. +1

Back to top Go down

Post by Candy Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:00 pm

I have an obsession with food. Ask Umbra... If I'm not talking about my dog, Mochi [who is also named after food], then I'm most likely talking about food.
Anyway, was browsing one of my favorite sites when I came across this recipe... Told Umbra we're going to make these when I go visit him! ^^
If anyone makes this before us, let me know how it comes out? Surprised

Strawberry Shortcake Cookies- makes about 3 dozen cookies

Vin's Recipe Thread~! (^o^) - Page 2 Z214004340
Vin's Recipe Thread~! (^o^) - Page 2 Z214004341

Ingredients

• 12 ounces strawberries, hulled and diced into 1/4-inch pieces (about 2 cups)
  • 1-2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
  • 1/2 cup plus 2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3 ounces (6 Tablespoons) cold, unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
  • 2/3 cup heavy cream
  • coarse sugar, for sprinkling

Directions
1. Preheat the oven to 375. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. Combine strawberries, lemon juice, and 2 Tablespoons of granulated sugar in a medium bowl. Set aside.
3. Whisk together the flour, remaining sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Using a pastry cutter, cut in the butter to the flour mixture until coarse crumbs are formed. You can also use your fingers. Stir in the heavy cream until the dough starts to come together, then gently fold in strawberries.
4. Using a 1-1/2 inch cookie scoop, drop dough onto cookie sheets, evenly spaced apart. Sprinkle with coarse sugar. Bake for about 15 minutes, or until cookies are golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

Candy
Candy
I post too friggin' much
I post too friggin' much

Back to top Go down

Post by Umbrasquall Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:04 am

That looks so good...
Umbrasquall
Umbrasquall
I Eat Fish Cos They're So Delicious
I Eat Fish Cos They're So Delicious

http://mabiumby.wordpress.com/?ref=spelling

Back to top Go down

Post by Vintersorg Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:25 am

Indeed, and I do have fresh organic strawberries, but I've just made granola so... ya.
Have fun (^_^)
Vintersorg
Vintersorg
WOTO. +1
WOTO. +1

Back to top Go down

Post by Candy Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:12 am

I love mochi... I actually make it all the time at home [w/the sweet bean paste in the center].
I saw this while randomly surfing the net and found a different way to enjoy my favorite rice cake! ^^

Fun with sweet mochi and fruit "sushi"

Vin's Recipe Thread~! (^o^) - Page 2 3980817793_0decaeb51c_o

his is not what you might think it is. Yes, it looks like sushi - almost too similar. But guess what? It’s mochi! It’s mochi with various fruit pieces posing as fish. Mochi is surprisingly easy to make. You can actually make this dessert with kids, it’s so easy and fun. The nigiri are especially easy - just cut up various fruits into squares to put on top. Rolls are a bit trickier, but not impossible. For the rolls, I used soy wrappers (see tutorial below).

Vin's Recipe Thread~! (^o^) - Page 2 3984981624_a3fd34b8f0_o

Basic Mochi Recipe

[note: Sweet mochi made from mochiko or a combination of mochiko and joushinko (rice flour made from medium grain or regular Japonica rice) and used for sweets, is also called gyuuhi. - maki]

• 3/4 cup / 178ml Mochiko (glutinous rice flour)
  • 3.4 cup / 178ml water
  • 2 to 4 tablespoons sugar

Combine the mochiko flour, water, and sugar in a microwave safe container and stir until completely incorporated. I find that 2 tablespoon makes a pretty light mochi, which might be preferable if you plan on adding a sweet filling. If you plan on eating it plain, I would add more sugar. Cover with plastic wrap tightly and microwave for 2-3 minutes. This depends on your microwave strength. Check after 2 minutes to see if it’s done. The previously liquid mixture should be solid now. Typically the plastic wrap will expand while heating (creating a bubble on top of the container) and then it will shrink and become concave once you take it out (due to the rapid cooling air inside the container). I like to use a glass Pyrex container with plastic wrap for microwaving because I know it will retain the moisture inside. I once tried making it with a plastic lid and I think too much moisture was released, resulting in a hard, rubbery mochi.

Vin's Recipe Thread~! (^o^) - Page 2 3985028960_8c4562a50f_o

Nigiri

Once you have microwaved the mochi, scoop out a small lump with a spoon (see bottom left picture above) and dump it into a bowl of corn starch. Use your hands to lightly shape the piece of mochi so it looks like an oval, similar the rice shape of a nigiri sushi. Cut pieces of fruit into rectangles about the size of the fish on top of the sushi. You can use any fruit you want. I used mango (for tamago/egg), strawberry (for maguro/tuna), and blackberries (for some sort of caviar I guess!).You could also use cantaloupe for salmon, honeydew for cucumber, and watermelon for tuna. Be creative! Lay the fruit on top of the mochi, and you are done! If you want, you can lightly sprinkle some sugar on top, but this is totally optional.

Vin's Recipe Thread~! (^o^) - Page 2 3985021272_5268d56e6b_o

Maki Rolls
Maki rolls are just a bit trickier. It helps if you have some experience making normal sushi rolls. These maki rolls are made with soy wrappers by the company Yamamotoyama. You can either buy a variety pack with various colors (5 sheets), or buy bulk packs (10 sheets of a single color). All soy wrappers are naturally colored, spinach for green and paprika for orange one (and I think beets for pink, but I did not buy the pink one). The small amounts of coloring agents do not affect the flavor. I bought my soy wrappers online at asianfoodgrocer.com which actually has a pretty good price for the bulk packs (unfortunately they do not carry the variety pack, but you can get that on Amazon.com). [Note: In the UK/Europe you can order these from Japan Centre. As far as I know though, Yamamotoyama doesn’t sell these in Japan. - maki]

The soy wrappers have a very mild hint of soy flavor. I would recommend using a strongly flavored filling to mask any hint of the soy aroma if it bothers you. The wrappers do lose this aroma over time. I noticed that I did not smell the soy flavor in the rolls the next day.

Vin's Recipe Thread~! (^o^) - Page 2 3985994470_f1aa2dc0b3_o

Make mochi according to the microwave recipe above. Now, instead of taking out small chunks like we did for the nigiri, try to lift the entire sheet with a spatula and gently lay it down on a soy wrapper. I divided the sheet I had made into two pieces so I could lay it across the soy wrapper. Fill with your filling of choice. In this case, I used some leftover sweetened mung beans from mung bean soup I had made. You can also use fruit (see pictures below using mango), red bean paste, black sesame paste, or crushed peanuts. Roll as you would normal sushi. With the soy wrappers, you need to use a bit of water to seal the roll.

Vin's Recipe Thread~! (^o^) - Page 2 3985994048_c6903ee56b_o

Slice with a wet knife and serve! I used the end pieces to make the stand up maki pieces with the blackberry on top.

Vin's Recipe Thread~! (^o^) - Page 2 3985015778_06ae0e79d8_o

These taste the best when they are freshly made. I tried refrigerating them, but they become a bit harder and lose that nice, chewy texture. Enjoy!

Vin's Recipe Thread~! (^o^) - Page 2 3985663789_1c2dd58504_o
Candy
Candy
I post too friggin' much
I post too friggin' much

Back to top Go down

Post by Vintersorg Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:59 am

Okay, so I had a craving for gulyas (otherwise known as goulash, and no, it's not that macaroni-laden slop they served in school cafeterias, bleh~) so I decided to make some in the slowcooker.
I'm not calling it Hungarian Gulyas, even though it originates in Hungary, cos I didn't use Hungarian paprika XD
And mine is a pork version, cos that's what I felt like today. You can make it with beef (most common), pork, or lamb.

PORK GULYAS

INGREDIENTS:
  • 2 yellow onions
  • 1 red onion
  • 1 small pork tenderloin, boneless
  • 1 whole head of garlic
  • ¼ cup water (if using slowcooker)
  • 2 chicken bouillion cubes
  • EVOO
  • 5~6 carrots
  • 5~6 small red potatoes
  • about 3 tbsp. paprika
  • lemon-pepper seasoning, to taste
  • salt, to taste

DIRECTIONS:

1. Chop the two yellow onions and 3 or 4 cloves of garlic. Sautee them in EVOO until golden, adding 1tbsp of paprika and a bit of salt. Toss them into your stewpot or slowcooker.
  2. Chop the red onion and the rest of the garlic whilst cooking the first onion/garlic batch. Cut up the pork tenderloin into bite-size pieces. Sautee these in EVOO, adding the rest of the paprika (2tbsp) as well as a bit more salt and the lemon-pepper seasoning. The pork should be browned on all sides. Toss into stewpot or slowcooker with the bouillion cubes and water. If using a stewpot, pour enough water to just cover the meat.
  3. Bring to a boil. For slowcooking, start on low, and leave it for about 5 hours, stirring every 30~40 minutes. For stovetop, let it simmer for a couple hours, stirring occasionally.
  4. During this time, you may choose to make eggnoodle dumplings to serve with the stew. Recipe and directions follow.
  5. Chop the carrots and potatoes and add them to the stew. For slowcooking, turn your cooker to high for 45mins~1 hour, until potatoes are fork-tender; stir occasionally. For stovetop, add a little more water and continue to simmer for another hour or two, until potatoes are fork-tender.
  6. If you like a thicker stew, you can thicken it by using cornstarch (my preference) or flour, adding a bit at a time whilst the soup is boiling and stirring frequently (preventing lumps).

EGGNOODLE DUMPLINGS (CSIPETKE)

This serves one~two, so adjust recipe accordingly.

INGREDIENTS:

• 1 egg
  • 6 tbsp flour
  • 1/8 tsp salt (I used lemon-pepper seasoning & salt here)

DIRECTIONS:
  1. Combine the flour and salt in a bowl.
  2. Add the egg and mix; dough will be stiff. Cover and put into fridge to chill for 30mins~1hr (best done whilst gulyas is cooking). You can also add a bit of water if the dough is too hard to mix and there's still flour in the bowl by this point; just not too much.
  3. When you're ready to make the dumplings, bring a small pan of water to the boil with a bouillion cube, or just salt the water/season however you wish.
  4. Take small amounts of the dough and roll it into small “snakes”. Flouring your hands as well as the dough helps keep it from sticking to you and forms its shape better.
  5. When the water is boiling, pinch little pieces (or big if it's your preference) off the “snake” and drop them into the water. They will cook really fast, so have a slotted spoon ready to take them out as they rise to the top. Sometimes some will be stuck to the bottom and you'll have to stir it a bit to get them to come up. Continue doing this til all your dough is cooked.
  6. Put csipetke into your soupbowl and then ladle gulyas on top. Enjoy!
Vintersorg
Vintersorg
WOTO. +1
WOTO. +1

Back to top Go down

Post by Candy Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:57 am

I have a thing for things that are spicy. The spicier, the better. I want my nose running, eyes watering, forehead sweating, mouth burning with fire-- I want it HOT HOT. LoL~ [Sexy, no? haha] This dish actually isn't that spicy, and I'm still trying to figure out what I can add to it to make it flaming hot. Probably look for a spicier hot sauce and maybe marinade chicken in some kind of chili pepper concoction. Who knows. Will keep experimenting. >:3

Spicy Buffalo Style Stuffed Chicken Breasts

Vin's Recipe Thread~! (^o^) - Page 2 Hs0208_chicken_breast_lg

Ingredients

• 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • 1/4 pound blue cheese
  • salt
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 stick unsalted butter
  • 2 tablespoons hot sauce (recommended: Frank's Hot Sauce)
  • 2 tablespoons white vinegar
  • Celery, sliced thin, to serve

Directions
Heat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Using a sharp knife, cut a pocket into each chicken breast. Stuff 1/4 of the blue cheese into each breast. Secure the openings with toothpicks and season with salt and pepper. Heat the oil in a nonstick, oven-proof skillet over medium heat and sear the chicken on both sides until browned, about 3 to 4 minutes per side. Put the chicken into the oven until it is cooked through, about 8 to 10 minutes.

In a small pot, add the butter, hot sauce, and white vinegar and cook over medium heat until bubbling. Pour half the sauce over the hot chicken and cook over medium heat for 1 minute. Remove the toothpicks and serve with extra sauce garnished with sliced celery.
Candy
Candy
I post too friggin' much
I post too friggin' much

Back to top Go down

Post by Vintersorg Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:53 pm

It's funny, but everytime I try to make something from the Food Network it never comes out right unless I make some alterations. XD
But it takes a couple "wrong" batches before I figure out what works. Very annoying~ lol.
Also, if you like hot stuff you should try to come out to the Fiery Foods and Barbecue show here in Albuquerque.
My mum and I went last year and omg, there was this sauce that was SO HOT that it took some green chile from Sadie's (which is like, the hottest ever) to cool my mouth off lmao.
People had some funny names for their chilis and sauces, like one was called "Slap Your Mama" (it was supposed to be so hot that you'd slap your mama, I guess, LOL).
http://www.fiery-foods.com/index.php/fiery-foods-a-bbq-show
Also:
Vin's Recipe Thread~! (^o^) - Page 2 Packaging2
Vintersorg
Vintersorg
WOTO. +1
WOTO. +1

Back to top Go down

Post by Candy Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:41 pm

Slap Your Mama? I think I found it... LoL

http://www.hotsauceworld.com/hsw1519sm.html
Vin's Recipe Thread~! (^o^) - Page 2 Hotsauceworld_2111_51732316
Candy
Candy
I post too friggin' much
I post too friggin' much

Back to top Go down

Post by Vintersorg Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:02 pm

Aye, that's it lol~ we didn't get to try it whilst there, but maybe next year's show.
Vintersorg
Vintersorg
WOTO. +1
WOTO. +1

Back to top Go down

Post by Vintersorg Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:56 pm

Here's a recipe I've been making A LOT since last year, lol.
It took me two days to perfect it and make it my own~
Also BUN, copy this for Panda XD

Here is the original recipe, from allrecipes.com

IRISH SODA BREAD

Ingredients:

* 1 cup (235 ml) milk
* 1 teaspoon (5 ml) white vinegar
* 2 cups (250 g) all-purpose flour
* 1/2 teaspoon (3 g) salt
* 1/2 teaspoon (2 g) baking (bicarb) soda

Directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). In a cup or small bowl, stir together the milk and vinegar. Let stand 10 minutes, or until curdled.
2. In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, salt and baking soda. Stir in the curdled milk mixture until smooth. Scrape the dough out of the bowl onto a floured surface, and shape into a disc. Place the disc into a cast iron skillet.
3. Bake for 15 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the crust feels firm to the touch.

Ok, here's my alterations, lol...
I use apple cider vinegar instead of white. It just tastes better.
You can mix half wheat flour and half white; this also just tastes better. I've also ground up oats in the food processor to make a coarse flour and added them.
Whisk the dry ingredients together before you add the wet. Or just bung them in the food processor (still using dry before wet)! So much simpler. Very Happy

If you want a dessert bread, add 1/4 cup (50g) of sugar, 1/2 cup (75g) of raisins, and as much cinnamon as you like. I add up to two tablespoons. You'll want to knead the raisins in before you bake it, though.
Knead it (here's how I do it) only 6~8 times, then let the dough rest in a bowl for 10 minutes covered by a tea towel. Cut an "X" in the top (not too deep though!) right before you pop it into the skillet and into the oven.

Bake this at a lower temperature for a longer time; it is sooo much better lol. Put it in at 350F (180C) for 35~45 minutes. It's better if you wait the full 45 minutes.

Happy baking~!! Very Happy
Vintersorg
Vintersorg
WOTO. +1
WOTO. +1

Back to top Go down

Post by Talvin Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:38 pm

Thanks Vin! xD I'll pass on your legacy Very Happy or... part of it xD
Talvin
Talvin
Rock Paper Scissor Ninja
Rock Paper Scissor Ninja

Back to top Go down

Post by Vintersorg Mon May 02, 2011 10:20 pm

Ta, Bun~! XD
Meanwhile OMG I just threw together one of the best meals all cos I'm trying to clean out the cupboards lol~
And this is pretty much stuff I always have around, with the exception of the macaroni and Parmesany stuff.

Ingredients:
1 box macaroni and cheese; do not use cheese packet
a few sheets nori (dried seaweed)
bonito flakes (dried bonito fish flakes)
evoo (extra virgin olive oil)
whole roasted sesame seeds
salt and pepper to taste (I used onion salt, but be careful with the salt anyway as the parmesan seasoning has A LOT)
Land O' Lakes Parmesan and Herb seasoning (parmesan cheese can work as well but the store was out when I bought this months ago so grabbed this instead)

Directions:
1. Prepare macaroni not according to box directions Very Happy ... bring salted water to the boil and drop in pasta with a bit of evoo so it doesn't stick. Cook at this stage for 7 minutes. You want it al-dente, basically.

2. Tear up the seaweed into small pieces. Drain macaroni when it's done.

3. Add a bit more evoo, the seaweed, bonito flakes, and your seasoning. Mix.

4. If it looks too "dry" you can add a bit more oil but don't make it oily! Add the sesame seeds last (a couple handfuls should do or however much you like).

5. Enjoy! Very Happy

N.B.: you can use rice in place of the pasta but then I would use furikake (Japanese rice seasoning) instead of Parmesan, or do both. Omit evoo!
Vintersorg
Vintersorg
WOTO. +1
WOTO. +1

Back to top Go down

Post by Vintersorg Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:16 pm

It's autumn again so time for another PUMPKIN recipe! <3
This time it's Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins! Very Happy
From allrecipes.com <-- link
There are three separate parts to this recipe, and you smoosh them together to make super muffins!
My changes will be in this colour.

Ingredients for: Pumpkin Muffins
  • 2 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 cups white sugar (I used less sugar, probably about 1 and 1/4 cup, perhaps even less.)
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt (I used 1/4 teaspoon.)
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 1/3 cups canned pumpkin
  • 1/3 cup olive oil (I used extra-virgin olive oil.)
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Ingredients for: Cream Cheese Filling
  • 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 3 tablespoons brown sugar (I used regular sugar as didn't have brown; added more cinnamon.)

Ingredients for: Streusel Topping
  • 4 and 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 5 tablespoons white sugar (I used 3 tablespoons.)
  • 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • 3 tablespoons chopped pecans

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease and flour 18 muffin cups, or use paper liners.
  2. To make the filling: In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese until soft. Add egg, vanilla and brown sugar. Beat until smooth, then set aside.
  3. For the streusel topping: In a medium bowl, mix flour, sugar, cinnamon and pecans. Add butter and cut it in with a fork until crumbly. Set aside.
  4. For the muffin batter: In a large bowl, sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Make a well in the center of flour mixture and add eggs, pumpkin, olive oil and vanilla. Beat together until smooth.
  5. Place pumpkin mixture in muffin cups about 1/2 full. Then add one tablespoon of the cream cheese mixture right in the middle of the batter. Try to keep cream cheese from touching the paper cup. Sprinkle on the streusel topping.
  6. Bake at 375 degrees F (195 degrees C) ((350 degrees F/180 degrees C)) for 20 to 25 ((30~35 or til knife/toothpick in centre comes out clean)) minutes.

**Notes**
I would make double the filling and topping recipe... this made just barely 12 muffins and one 9-inch "pie/cake/muffin" (I got lazy at the end) and there was hardly any of either left, but lots of pumpkin batter. It's supposed to make 18 muffins... haha, right. XD
Also I spaced and grabbed baking soda instead of baking powder... probably cos I had been cleaning with it and it was out. Nothing happened and they turned out fine Very Happy
And I didn't beat the cream cheese til smooth, it was still kind of rough-ish with blobs of cream cheese here and there. Yum yum!
I also added way more vanilla and cinnamon cos I love those tastes, and a few pinches of ground ginger into the pumpkin batter as well~

Vintersorg
Vintersorg
WOTO. +1
WOTO. +1

Back to top Go down

Post by Miriel Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:28 am

OMG, I LOVE THIS THREAD <3<3<3

I learned how to make Cake Balls last week. And to twist them a bit, I decided to make
Pumpkin Cream Cheese Cake Balls.

Here is how I did it:

I needed:
Pumpkin Cake
Cream Cheese Frosting (i.e. homeade cream cheese butter cream)
Confectioner's Chocolate or Chocolate Chips

First I made my Pumpkin Cake
I mixed together:
3 Eggs
1 Cup Sugar
1 tsp Baking Soda
3/4 Cup Pumpkin
i use fresh sugar pumpkins, cut them in 1/2 and bake them at 350 flat side on the pan until they are squishy, but you can use canned pumpkin instead since that's way easier
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
1/2 tsp Nutmeg
3/4 Cup Flour

Then I poured it into a pan and baked it at 350 until it was done. you can tell when your cake is cooked if you insert a toothpick and it comes out clean, or when the edges start to pull away from the pan and you touch the center of the cake and it springs back up (instead of leaving a fingerprint dent). let your cake cool completely. after it is cooled, crumble it.

While my cake was cooling I whipped together my Cream Cheese Butter Cream Frosting.

I used:
1 # Butter, softened (ie. warmed up to room temp)
8 oz Plain Cream Cheese, softened
~2# Powdered Sugar

Mix together butter and cream cheese until thoroughly combined. Start adding powdered sugar until frosting is sweetened to your liking. If you really want to make it Deelicious you can also add 1-2 Tbsp Vanilla Extract.

After cake has been cooled and crumbled, and frosting is finished, mix frosting into the cake crumbs until it sticks together. You may have extra frosting left over. The mixture will get really sticky. Roll it into 1"- 1 1/2" balls and place them on wax paper. Freeze until chilled completely.

Separately, melt your chocolate. If you use confectioners chocolate, chop it into little pieces so it is easier to melt.
I prefer to melt my chocolate over a double boiler. But since I don't have one I fill a pan with water to boil, find a smaller pan that fits over/inside it and melt the chocolate in the smaller pan. If you chose to melt your chocolate in a pan directly on the burner it is likely your chocolate will get too hot- chocolate is finicky and this will change the texture/color of it when it cools.

Once chocolate is completely melted, turn down heat. Use toothpicks or a fork to dip frozen cake balls. Cover them completely in chocolate and set them back on wax paper to cool.

Enjoy. <3

*Note: Because there is buttercream frosting in these you should probably store them in a refrigerator, especially if you use unsalted butter. But the pumpkin flavor is more pronounced if they are room temp. So take them out a little while before you let people eat them. =)

Miriel
Bananarama Ding Dong
Bananarama Ding Dong

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next